- Christina Tenaglia, Untitled, 2013, wood, paint, nails, 13 ½ x 3 ¼ x 8".
Imogen Holloway Gallery in Saugerties hosts two exciting exhibits in August. "Leaf in a Landscape," with paintings by Joy Taylor, runs through August 11. "Wood," with new works by Douglas Wirls and Christina Tenaglia, runs from August 17 to September 29.
"Leaf in a Landscape" features a solo show by Joy Taylor, whose paintings focus on the natural world. The new works in this exhibit feature dreamlike symbols made from pencil, acrylic paint, snippets of previous paintings, collage, and organic matter. A window installation by Heather Hutchinson and works on paper by Robert Otto Epstein are also on view at the gallery.
- "Leaf in a Landscape no. 3", Joy Taylor, acrylic on linen and acrylic on panel, 10 x 10 inches
- "Painting no. 0416", Joy Taylor, mixed media on canvas, 50 x 50 inches
- "Leaf in a Landscape no. 2", Joy Taylor, acrylic on linen, pencil, and acrylic on panel, 8 x 8 inches
- "Leaf in a Landscape no.1", Joy Taylor, acrylic, paper, mylar on panel, 10 x 10 inches
- "Jack's Glove (Left)", Joy Taylor, acrylic on linen, 22 x 24 inches
"Wood," an exhibition of new works by two artists who seem to have little in common, opens at Imogen Holloway Gallery on August 17. The appropriately named Douglas Wirls creates art in a darkened hue, creating forest and ocean scenes with whirls of ink, charcoal, and pastel. Christina Tenaglia, who is sharing the exhibit, creates minimalist art often made up of wood, paint, and nails. While Tenalia offers work that conjures up industry and technology, Wirls reminds us of the natural world we've tossed aside. Both zoom in on only a part of the whole, leaving us to construct the bigger picture.
- Douglass Wirls, Forest Floor 3, pastel and sumi ink on paper, 12 X 32 inches
- Christina Tenaglia, Studio
- Douglas Wirls, Terrain (study) 5, charcoal on drafting film, 5 x 8 inches
- Christina Tenaglia, "Untitled", 2013, wood, paint, nails, 5 ½ x 3 x 11 ½"
- Douglas Wirls, Marine 2, charcoal and sumi on drafting film, 18 x 40 inches
"Leaf in a Landscape" runs through August 11 with an opening reception on August 2 from 6-9pm (the reception coincides with Saugerties First Friday). "Wood" will be on exhibit from August 17 to September 29. In addition to new works by Douglas Wirls and Christina Tenaglia, there will be a window installation by Arm-of-the-Sea Theater. An opening reception will be held on Saturday, August 17, from 6-9pm.